Monday, November 1, 2010

Summers over...


....but it is a beautiful fall day. It was 28 degrees this morning and its working on 60 right now. Thanks to good friends, our mountain of fire wood (thank you Spencer for the saw and trailer, and Lenny and Dad for the slave labor) is completely split (thank you Dale for the splitter) and mostly stacked. Our woodstove is FINALLY installed with double-wall pipe in all the right places and I am feeling much better about the weather turning cold.

We have been watching football on Sunday nights and Noah is really into tackling. This has become a bit of a problem. Lucy is fast enough to escape but Lydia has been taking a beating. Apparently so have the kids at day care. I keep getting reassurances from friends and acquaintances that type of thing is normal for a two year old but mostly I feel relieved when I see other kids getting into trouble too.

Kass and I have been wondering if we are selling Lydia short with our "boy-centric" house. Is there some psychological reason that girls need different toys than boys do? I'm not even sure that I know what a girl toy is except that its pink. Last night at dinner, after bringing in the kids who had both been happily racing cars and making engine noises, Kass said "do you think we should get her a doll?" I feel so inadequate to teach a girl how to be a girl. I just didn't do that stuff, but I know I had some dolls and stuff when I was little so there must have been a point where I choose what I liked. Its not like I have to buy her a Barbie... is it?















No comments: